Monday, February 11, 2013

All Natural Homemade Hair Spray

Specialty Bottle
Have you ever flipped your hairspray bottle over and actually looked at the ingredients contained in that little bottle?  I can't even begin to try to pronounce half of the ingredients, which begs the question, can this really be safe?

Within the last couple of years I have gradually switched out my body care products for more natural alternatives.  With [lots of] research, trial, and error I have come up with some really great alternatives to chemical laden products that I used to use on a daily basis.

When it comes to hairspray, you probably already have all of the ingredients at home.  I have tried recipes that called for boiling citrus, allowing to cool, and adding rubbing alcohol.  I didn't like these recipes because they were time consuming and the alcohol smelled awful when sprayed.  They also didn't hold very well.

To make a strong hold hairspray, all you need is:

8oz hot water
2oz vodka
2tbsp sugar

Optional:
1tsp Coconut Oil (this will only work in the summer as it will solidify at <76◦)
1tbsp Aloe Vera (the real stuff, it shouldn't have any coloring)
Several Drops Essential Oils

Mountain Rose Herbs
To your hot water, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.  Add the vodka, and stir again.  It is as easy as that.  If you would like to add the optional ingredients you can do that now.  Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera will add a little softness to the hairspray, and essential oils will give it a pleasant smell.  If the hairspray is too firm for your liking, reduce the sugar and/or vodka.

I like to use peppermint and lavender essential oil in my hairspray.  You only need about 5 drops of each, a little goes a long way.

I like to purchase my essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs.  All of their oils are pure and organic, or harvested from wild plants from regions that do not use pesticides.  They are affordable too.  You can also purchase essential oils, and many other products from VitaCost. <-- If you use this link you will be given $10 off of your first purchase of $30 or more.

I purchase my containers from two places.  If you are putting together a large order for containers you can use Specialty Bottle, but their shipping in costly, and takes a while.  Most of the time I order from Whole Sale Supplies Plus.  Their prices are good, and you can usually get a deal on free shipping.



If you would like to browse my online store for natural soaps, lip balms, scrubs, soaks, and more please visit www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalBeautyCare.  If there is an item that you would like to see me add to my shop, please feel free to message me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment